Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Pura Vida!! (Costa Rica Part 2)


Sunday morning we awoke and enjoyed this amazing view from our balcony.  A driver picked us up to take us back to the airport.  


I was a nervous wreck thinking our luggage would be too heavy for the teeny tiny commuter plane.  They weighed our checked bag and then made us each get on the scale with our carry-ons.  We were good to go!  Next stop was security, which consisted of a man and a metal detector wand.  I swear it's harder to get into Cowboy Stadium than to get on that plane.


This was my boarding pass - a laminated piece of paper that they use over and over again!  We didn't get up in time to have breakfast at Xandari so I was so hungry, I was getting nauseated.  I just assumed I could pick something up at the airport.  I was wrong!  This terminal had a little shop but it wasn't open and none of the workers even knew if it would open up that day!


Our little plane!


Plane selfie


Crazy how we could see everything the pilot was doing.


We landed in Puerto Jimenez!  So excited to get to the resort!


Ginger Lemonade - our welcome drink.  We loved these things!  We got to the resort around 10:30; they weren't scheduled to serve lunch until noon.  I knew I couldn't wait to eat until then so they made us up some breakfast really quickly.  Such a small thing that made me love this beautiful piece of paradise even more!

Next up was our room!


The view from our room


This is the pathway leading onto our front porch and into our room.  The curtained area on the right is the outdoor shower and bath and the shutters are on a window over the bathroom sink.


Another view photo




Our room didn't have any air conditioning (like Xandari didn't) but it had a little fan clipped to the bed.  We had to use the mosquito nets every night to keep the bugs at bay.  I will never be able to describe the intense humidity!


Looking into the bathroom


Another view photo :)



So excited to be in paradise!!!


We saw all of this wildlife between the lodge and our room!  Monkeys and birds were everywhere!!







The hammock on our front porch was my favorite spot.  I really want one for our house, but I'm guessing that the view won't be quite the same.



A picture of the open-air lodge.



The food at Bosque del Cabo was INSANE!  This salad was delicious and Henderson had a fish sandwich.  I still dream about the food they had there.  They bought all of their groceries at the little grocery store in Puerto Jimenez - no Sysco for them!




Cute little coati

After lunch, we decided to embark on the Pacific Trail, a winding, steep trail down to the Pacific Coast.  We specifically wanted to get down to the beach on the Pacific side of the Peninsula and then go find the waterfall that all of the tour materials talked about.





The wildlife at Bosque was incredible!


The Pacific Ocean


We were told not to wade in the Pacific; the tide was way too strong.


Sweet mama monkey and baby








We made it to the beach!  But we weren't quite finished.  Now, on to find the elusive waterfall!!




We walked about a mile across tide pools and beaches.  But we didn't see a waterfall!  It took us about another 30 minutes to figure out where the waterfall was.  So.  Worth.  It.


We had to climb up and over some rocks to access the waterfall.  Coming back down in the same spot as above, I stepped on a snake.  I about died.  For the rest of the trip, I tried to stay in the water instead of on the sides of creeks.  




This place was absolutely beautiful.  It was pretty much untouched.  Most of the tourists don't even make it down to this waterfall. 

We decided to hurry back since the tide was steadily getting higher.  We had a long trek back and couldn't wait to tell the other guests all about our find!


Happy hour was so much fun every night!  I always tried a different cocktail and was never disappointed!


And that was the end of day 1 at Bosque del Cabo.  Part 3 of our Costa Rican adventure is coming up next and it includes my favorite part: waterfall rappelling!  





No comments:

Post a Comment