Monday, October 22, 2012

Saturdate - Farmer's Market and State Fair of TX

Yesterday, we headed into Dallas to the Farmer's Market - one of our favorite stops in the big city.  I cannot explain to you how overwhelming this place is.  We always end up with lots of fresh produce.  Here are some pictures showing how great this farmer's market is.  












One of my favorite pictures.



These pumpkins were about $130 each...we did not get one of these.



After buying enough fruits and veggies to last us two weeks, we headed to the State Fair of Texas!  Sad to say, but this place reminded me of Disney World!





They had a tram that picked you up in each parking area.  There are 15 lots with a total of 20,000 parking spots.  We parked in the very last lot.  This place was hopping!

We had to get a corny dog from Fletcher's - a State Fair of Texas tradition, apparently!

We headed to the petting/livestock area where we learned that pigs are the fourth smartest animals in the world!  I had to have my picture taken with this sign.  
We also met this monstrosity...info about this hog in the next picture...

Then we headed for the Ferris Wheel (which was $7 each to ride!  I about had a heart attack!  Oh, btw, you had to pay for everything with "coupons" kind of like tickets.  Even food.  This was really annoying because I felt like we were always standing in line to get tickets.)
Up...
Up...
And away!
Next, we hung out in the beer garden.  Yes, you read that right.  They also had a wine garden, but 85 degree weather and fried foods didn't make drinking wine that appealing.



We hit up the automobile building...this truck is one year model older than Mimi's!
Finally, we paid homage to Big Tex.  Here you can see where flowers were laid in his memory.  
If you haven't heard of the Big Tex tragedy (what are you living under a rock??), you can click here.  Sad, sad day in Dallas, Texas.  However, I heard they're already planning on a better Big Tex for next year's fair!

We ended the night with some cajun food at Alligator Cafe.  Delish!

Such a fun day, but we were absolutely exhausted!!  I'm already planning our next Saturdate!


No comments:

Post a Comment