Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fair Time

Just like last year, we had to set a date aside for the State Fair of Texas, even if only to visit the new Big Tex.  Last Saturday was not the ideal day to go to the fair (it was cold and rainy) but it was our only open weekend during October.  So, we just bundled up and headed out!  On the way, I researched the new food offerings at the fair this year (Fried Nutella, Fried Thanksgiving Dinner, etc.) and made a game plan.  We ended up trying Fried Shrimp and Grits and a Texas Fireball (pimento cheese, bacon, jalapeno).  Both were quite tasty, but only something I could eat once a year!  I had to get some Twisted Tators and HK had to partake in a Fletcher's corny dog.  I didn't get to try the Fried Nutella - the line was super long.



After stuffing our faces appropriately, we headed to see the new and improved Big Tex.  Not such a great pic but it's better than last year, when I took a picture of his empty podium!


I had to check out the pig races.  So much fun, especially for the little kids (and me)!

This pig weighed over 1,000 pounds!

Then we headed into the barns to check out what the 4-H and FFA Clubs had on display.  They put on a neat petting zoo, complete with baby piglets!  When it got entirely too cold to stay out any longer, we headed to Alligator Cafe for some grub and to catch the State-LSU game.  We finished our dinner at halftime when State was only down by 5 points, but it got pretty ugly in the last quarter.  Here's to hoping we can pull out an upset some time this season!

Such a great day with my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment