Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Road Trip part I

On July 5, we woke up to head to Mississippi!!  We had a few places we wanted to stop so we decided to get on the road early.  Of course, we had to stop at Paul Michael's in Canton (TX, not to be confused with our final destination for the day, Canton, MS) and Marshall Pottery.  Henderson joked that everywhere we went on this trip I bought some pottery.  I see no problem with this.
We had packed up the leftover ribs and pasta salad from our Fourth of July feast to have for a picnic lunch.  We stopped right inside of Louisiana at a rest stop.  It was so much better than stopping at Sonic!


Crossing the river

In Mississippi!!

We headed straight to Mimi's where we were going to spend the next two nights.  

We went to the restaurant with her that night to see everybody.

Saturday, she and I went to the beauty shop to get pampered and then did some shopping after a lunch at Beagle Bagel, one of my favorite Jackson eating destinations.  Henderson was able to get some Bass Pro Shops time in (and I didn't have to go - win win!)

Since we had such a rich meal Friday night and we had reservations Sunday night to celebrate our anniversary, we decided to head to another Jackson eating tradition - The Cock of the Walk.  If you've never eaten here, you haven't lived.  You eat family style - they put enough fish and fries on one plate for the whole table - and you can order turnip greens and onion rings extra.  And those are your choices.  You eat on tin plates and drink out of tin cups.  And I can't forget the flipping of the cornbread!  It's right on the reservoir so you get such a great view too!  Can't be beat if you're looking for traditional Mississippi fare!

Up next: celebrating our first anniversary in Mississippi!

No comments:

Post a Comment